Reports To: Town Supervisor/Town Board
The Town of North Elba Park District Manager is responsible for the strategic planning, operation, and management of the Town's park district, overseeing a diverse range of facilities and programs. This position requires a visionary and creative leader who can maximize the potential of the park district's resources, enhance community engagement, and build strong relationships with local and national organizations.
· Team Leadership: Supervise and provide leadership to approximately 7 full-time employees and an additional 40 seasonal staff members, fostering a collaborative and high-performance work environment. Monitor employee work schedules, preview and certify timesheets, and submit to the finance office for payroll.
· Relationship Building: Cultivate and maintain strong partnerships with local and national organizations, ensuring the park district remains a hub for various sports and recreational activities and events. These organizations include, but are not limited to:
o Lake Placid Sports Council
o Village of Lake Placid
o Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism
o Olympic Regional Development Authority
o Lake Placid Youth Athletic Association
o I Love NY Horse Show/Lake Placid Horse Show
o Summit Lacrosse
o Can/Am Rugby
o Various special events & civic organizations
· Venue Oversight: Directly manage and oversee the operations of multiple venues within the park district, including:
o Craig Wood golf course
o Horse Show grounds, which include lacrosse fields, pickle ball courts, and beach volleyball courts
o Toboggan Chute
o Public beach on Mirror Lake
o Parks and playgrounds
· Camp Placid: In collaboration with the Park District Administrator, provide oversight of Camp Placid, the town-run youth summer camp, ensuring the safety and enrichment of participants.
· Strategic Planning: Develop and implement a strategic plan for the park district, with a focus on enhancing the resident/visitor experience, expanding programming, and improving facilities.
· Resource Management: Manage the budget and resources allocated to the park district, making efficient and effective use of available funds. Work with finance office for the maintenance of purchase records.
· Community Engagement: Foster a sense of community involvement and ownership of park district facilities and programs through outreach, public events, and initiatives.
· Innovation and Creativity: Be a forward-thinking leader, constantly seeking innovative ways to capitalize on the park district's resources and enhance its appeal.
· Compliance: Ensure that all operations within the park district comply with relevant laws, regulations, and safety standards, which often requires working closely with NYS Department of Health. Monitor lease agreements with various organizations. Confirm all certificates of insurance of all vendors and parties using Park District property. Obtain Reasonable Suspicion certification.
· Bachelor's degree in Parks and Recreation Management, Sports Management, or a related field.
· Proven experience in park district or recreational facility management, with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
· Strong leadership and team management skills.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
· Strategic thinking and vision for the growth and development of the park district.
· Knowledge of sports and recreational programming and trends.
· Budget management and financial acumen.
· Ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders.
This position may require evening and weekend work, especially during peak seasons and special events.
Frequent travel and site visits within the park district are expected.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter through Indeed by November 17, 2023.
The Town of North Elba is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Note: This job description is intended to provide a general overview of the responsibilities and requirements of the position. It is not an exhaustive list of duties, and the specific responsibilities may evolve over time to meet the needs of the park district, the community and the Town of North Elba.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- On call
- Weekends as needed
- Bachelor's (Required)
- park district or recreational facility management: 3 years (Required)
- Night Shift (Required)
- Day Shift (Required)
Work Location: In person