Small Claims Information

How to File a Small Claim

In order to file a small claim you must obtain a form from the Court Clerk. Jurisdiction of the Court is based on where the defendant resides or has a place of business. Corporations MAY NOT use Small Claims in local courts and the amount sought must be $ 3000 or less.

For further information the small claims booklet is available as a download using Adobe Acrobat. If you have any questions after reading the booklet, please contact the Court Clerk.

The Court and the parties also have the option of settling disputes by using a trained mediator through the North Country Conflict Resolution Services of the Rural Law Center of New York. Their Mediation Guide for Town and Village Courts is available as a download using Adobe Acrobat.  For further information you can access The Rural Law Center website or contact them at their local office:

Rural Law Center, 22 U.S. Oval, Suite 203 Plattsburgh, NY 12903 Phone: 518.561.5460